The beginning of Murray Goulburn

The Murray Goulburn Co-operative was established by passionate dairy farmers in 1950, each seeking a better deal for their milk.

Construction on the Cobram factory began in 1950, and processed its first milk in 1951.

Following the construction of the co-op’s first factory, dozens of small factories joined Murray Goulburn, including Kyabram, Berrigan, Deniliquin, Rochester, Swan Hill and Casterton.

Today, Murray Goulburn processes milk from our suppliers across Victoria, NSW and Tasmania in our state of the art processing facilities, producing high quality products for consumption in Australia and across the world. 

 

Historical Timeline

1949-1950 Public meeting in Katunga shows unanimous support for a new co-operative dairy factory, co-operative begins accepting applications for shares

1951 First co-operative factory opens at Cobram

1952 First shipment of butter from new Cobram factory exported to United Kingdom

1957 First Field Services Officer recruited

1958 Production reaches 2,500 tonnes of cheese, butter and casein and over one million gallons of milk for local and Melbourne markets

1959 Co-op’s first tanker truck is introduced

1967 Headquarters move from Cobram to North Melbourne

1974 Joint venture entered with Californian company Real Fresh to produce high quality canned, sterile dairy foods for the US market

1975 New Gouda plant opened at Cobram, primarily to service Japanese joint venture Murray Goulburn Snow

1978 New cheese plant built at Rochester

1979 Turnover rises to $181 million

1980 Leongatha UHT plant opens

1982 Head office moves from North Melbourne to Brunswick, Melbourne

1985 Dairy Soft blend introduced to the market1986 First edition of company newspaper, The Devondaler, is printed

1988 Maffra factory is awarded an Approved Quality Agreement by the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service and the Department of Primary Industry

1995 Global Distribution Centre at Port Melbourne is opened

1997 Meiji-MGC infant formula manufacturing plant in Cobram is opened

1998 Cobram cheese plant is opened

2009 Joint venture entered with French company Danone to market yoghurt

2009 Inducted into the Victorian Manufacturing Hall of Fame

2012 Head office moves from Brunswick to Southbank, Melbourne

2014 MG enters the NSW-Sydney market region to acquire raw milk from dairy farmers

2014 Erskine Park and Laverton daily fresh pasteurised milk processing plants are opened

2015 MG Unit Trust lists on the ASX

2015 MG acquires Caboolture Cheese

2015 MG assumes 100 percent ownership of Tasmanian Dairy Products

2016 Reduction in expected FY16 distributable milk pool, Milk Supply Support Package (MSSP) introduced

2017 Strategic review outcome announced, the Board recommends a whole of business acquisition by Saputo Australia

2018 Shareholders vote in favour of Saputo transaction at Extraordinary General Meeting

2018 Saputo Dairy Australia assumes ownership of Murray Goulburn